Railway transportation development at the end of 18th century and the set up of railway line Olomouc-Krnov-Opava assumed to build up technical facility for the railway vehicles maintainance. Profitable geographical position of Krnov as a future junction railway station meant the establishment of „Machine Service Facility for Railway Vehicles Maintainance“. It was launched on October 1st, 1872 together with the operation start of Moravia-Silesian Central Railway.
The workshop passed through the different development cycles in the area of organization and management during the long time of operation in repairs of steam locomotives, passenger and freight wagons including the spare parts production for repairs and wagon works. The company Krnovské opravny a strojírny was established on September 1st, 1992 due to the social changes after 1989 and based on the decision on privatization of Railway Repair and Machine Works in 1992.
The company Krnovské opravny a strojírny s.r.o. continues successfully the rich history of the Workshop for Repairs of Railway Vehicles and with its ca 600 employees it is the second greatest employer in Krnov.
After company privatization the large investment build-up begun aiming to:
- surface treatment quality (sanding and spraying boxes for passenger and freight wagons)
- technology extension for repairs of four-axle passenger cars (transfer platform, electro testing room etc.)
- engineering production quality (machining CNC machine, hardening CNC machine, metallographic shop, welding hall).
A very significant step at the transformation of repair workshop to the manufacturer of the rail vehicles has been done by the completion of the contract on business, technical and production cooperation with the business-engineering company Pragoimex a.s. Praha in 2001.
Together with the contractual partners- Pragoimex and designing office VKV Praha s.r.o. the company Krnovské opravny a strojírny creates Aliance TW Team, which supplies new tramways for the urban mass transportation.
The production programme continues longtime tradition, skill, knowledge and acquirements of our staff at all company levels. Great reduction of all types vehicles repairs after 1989, federal state separation in 1992, decrease of repairs of Slovak freight wagon owners brought the necessity to find new production programme. The company was able to start the business in production and modernization of tramways based on the experience on welding of railway vehicles subsassemblies and low-batch production of freight wagons incl. historical vehicles.
Today the company is carrying on business successfully in the following areas:
- production, reconstruction, modernization and repairs of passenger and freight railway vehicles
- production, reconstruction and modernization of tramways
- production and repairs of historical railway vehicle
- engineering production of rotary parts incl. inductive hardening, weldments and machining of casting for wagon industry
Our products and service have found satisfied customers in Czech republic, Slovakia, Poland, Russia, Croatia, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, France, Belgium, Spain, Finland and Great Britain.